Skip to main content

Varying Your Villains

"As there is a use for poisons in medicine, so the world cannot move without rogues."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As I've been DMing my campaign, I've realized one thing: my villains and monsters tend to be from one group: fey.

I think this is because I think the Feywild is the coolest place out of all the planes.  I enjoy the fairy tale atmosphere, and hags are some of my favorite monsters (though I am trying to throw in some dragons!).  Regardless, I think it is important for DM's to throw around other different types of villains and monsters, as it adds more diversity to the adventures that you're running, and allows new things for your group.

Let's do a quick break down of the different types your villains can belong to.

Immortal
Elemental
Fey
Shadow
Abberant

I've noticed that I there are certain types that I don't use as much, and I want to fix that.  Here are some of my ideas in my upcoming games.

Immortal - In Gardmore Abbey, the party will end up fighting angels.  I also want to use more devils, especially if they journey to Bloodsand, a location in my campaign where a tiefling gang rules.

Elemental - My home campaign world has a city of the genasi, which has a portal to the Elemental Chaos.  One of my PC's happens to be a genasi who hails from the city and has made some enemies there.  Creatures pursuing him could easily be elementals, or, the heroes could simply choose to journey into the Elemental Chaos.  Another idea would be to have them fight cultists of Elder Elemental Eye.

Fey - I have so many ideas for this type.  Hags, corrupted elves, servants of the archfey, etc.  I love the Feywild and the opportunities it gives me for many of my adventures.

Shadow - I have another player who was a a Shadar-kai, so we already had a reason to venture forth into the Shadowfell.  Another reason is to hide locations of secrets there.  I have another dungeon that I've been working on called the Library of Lost Secrets.  Its location is within the Shadowfell in the upper reaches of an icy mountain.  The best part of the adventure?  Shadow yetis.  

Abberant - This is the monster type that I have used the least, or ever thought of.  I guess for me, dragons were always cooler than beholders.  However, now that I'm trying to expand my use of villains and monsters, I've found that the Kraken's Skull dungeon will work really well with abberant threats.  The Neverwinter Campaign guide had heroic level aboleths, and I happen to have a couple minis that have been sitting around.  So, as I continue to brainstorm and write ideas, the Kraken's Skull will grow into a better, fleshed out dungeon where the heroes will be able to fight these threats.

I'll continue to update the kind of monsters my players are battling, as well as the villains I've been crafting for my campaigns, as well as their motives and backgrounds.

Comments

  1. I like the Fey though. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Fey too. I just like what they represent, and the kinds of creatures they are. I've always liked elves though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gen Con 2012 (or There and Back Again)

"Well I'm back." - Samwise, The Return of the King I spent this last weekend at Gen Con, and, due to traveling, did not get a chance to update Artificer's Intuition.  My apologies.  I hope that everybody enjoys had a good weekend without an update from me. :) The Wizards of the Coast booth in the central showroom had a lot of awesome things.  I got my drow dice bag and was able to get my d4 just from getting my picture taken with Lolth, the Demon Queen of Spiders.  I think she looks scarier here then on the cover of the Monster Manual 3 (no offense to the artist). Me, in shocked surprise.  Note the hobbit-like backpack I'm wearing.  There was also a really cool statue of Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar. The worst thing for me was that soon after my near-death encounter with Lolth, I spied a drow wizard receiving the blessings of the spider goddess for himself.  I needed to watch my back. I spent the next couple of hours on Satu

Revisiting 4th Edition - Fortune Cards

An interesting mechanic that caught my eye as I returned to 4e was that of Fortune Cards. As I previously stated in an earlier post, one of the stores by my house still had a few packs of Fury of the Feywild. Those that have read this blog or read my tweets know that I am huge fan of the Feywild and the fey creatures that inhabit that realm, so when I was perusing 4e things from the past, picking up packs of cards with 'Feywild' in the set name was a no-brainer.                                                                                                                        As I tweeted while writing this post, it's amazing to me that despite the Fortune Cards arriving on scene circa 2011, there is very little record of them online. It's difficult to find images of many of the cards, even when googling their specific names! I find that to be quite shocking, especially since I can find card lists and images for the Star Wars CCG and Lord of the Rings TCG, both of

Revisiting the Trinket Lord

As I’ve gone back to dive into the options that are 4e D&D, I took another hard look at something near and dear to my heart: my 4e published article, The Trinket Lord. Published in Dungeon 205 (August 2012), it was another article in the Court of Stars series about the Archfey. With GenCon 2017 occurring right now, I figured it's a good time to talk about such things again.  I had always found the Court of Stars articles extremely intriguing and full of adventure hooks, but when I pitched this article, only two existed, The Prince of Frost (Dragon 374) and the Bramble Queen (Dungeon 185). The Trinket Lord was originally pitched back in April 2012, when WotC accepted article submissions for their Dragon and Dungeon magazines. My contact for the entire process was Greg Bilsland (which was a major “whoa!” moment for me). I consider my relatively short interactions with Greg to have been extremely insightful, as he gave me a good mix of compliments and critiques and helped me