Skip to main content

Unfinished Tales

"This is my story." - Tidus, Final Fantasy X

I'm starting to hit that point where I'm having too many adventure/story ideas and not enough time to play them.  My original group has kind of disbanded, and I have a lot of trouble locking onto a third player.  If I could have at least three, I'd feel a lot more comfortable about running a stable game.  I'm not upset about my lack of games, just frustrated because I have plenty of ideas and themes I would like to explore.

In my last post, I wrote about the Notebook, a project my friends and I started back when I was in high school.  It was basically diceless DnD, except it had a lot more character interaction and a lot less combat.  Even though it has been a number of years since we've actually had a Notebook, the ideas and adventures we did have really have resonated with me.  I would love to start fleshing them out as adventures to either re-play, or as places to visit sometime in the near future.

I was able to re-visit my old character Kurnar Leafbaum in a DnDNext playtest.  I made an elf fighter who was a sharpshooter, since that was how the character was originally.  His Charisma was low due to his arrogance, though he was a Noble so he got some help to his social skills.

My other friend, Kyle, was able to take his 4E character, Krenlor and build himself a DnDNext version.  Kyle's only lament was that there weren't any minor fire spells, since Krenlor specializes in fire magic.

Kurnar and Krenlor
My little brother played a human swashbuckler named Dax.  Dax's big problem was that he ran into many rooms and fell into pits, got swarmed by rats, and basically spent most of the playtest session sitting out.  He was also extremely lucky that the kobold dragonshields weren't able to coup de grace him.

Rats!  There's a huge dire rat too.
While the playtest was most about the rules and examining the kind of play everybody enjoys, it really makes me want to play as Kurnar in a group.  And by that I mean have a person DM while I get to sit and play.  There are a lot of adventure ideas I have for Kurnar, and I would love for him to get the chance to explore and fighter, all the while being arrogant and proud.  Flaws are what make the story interesting.

At the end of the summer, I wrote a post about the continent of Vellyn.  All my players were super excited about this campaign, and the campaign world, but unfortunately, the campaign didn't work.  Let me explain.

I live about 25 miles away from where I work.  Most of the group lives right by where I work.  So, as the DM, I would need to transport everything I need to each session.  My one player had an apartment with a giant table that would've worked perfectly.  Unfortunately, he had a huge issue with his schooling and got switched to a night class on the day that we were all going to choose to play.  I thought the issue would be resolved, but it never did.  We tried to put together a session in the local university's library, but the room was cramped and the table was small.  It just didn't work out well (although we had a great session).

This was the small room we played in and the small table we played on.
 So what does this all mean?  I had a great story, and honestly had great players.  They were super involved and really care about who they were playing.  My friend Sara was a girl named Narcissa, who was found alive yet frozen in a block of ice.  She has no idea who she is or where she is from.  Sara really got into this entire role.  She bought special dice, asked a lot of background questions for Narcissa, and really played the character well.  I spent my brainstorming time coming up with all the answers to Narcissa's past and was looking forward to either revealing them in December or next April.  Unfortunately (for now) that has to be put on hold.

Narcissa (upper left) and Dashvert (far right) try and survive a yeti siege

At this point, this blog probably sounds like a lot of excuses for why my campaigns failed.  Maybe it is.  To me, it's kind of nice just to write these thoughts out, as I'm sure this is an issue many people struggle with.  I've been listening to Behind the DM Screen, a podcast where three DM's chat about their campaigns and give advice to one another.  One guy is lucky to play once a month, and the other guys kind of harass him about it.  However, I'm starting to believe that once a month may be a norm for some people.  Life can get pretty hectic.

So for now, I don't plan on campaigns.  I plan on one shots, like playtests or one night dungeon crawls.  Expect to explore, fight monsters and save the princess in the cave.  Don't expect to unravel the mysteries of the kingdom or anything huge.  I have to turn down my story scope and instead just focus on the joy of getting to play.

A scene from a Vellyn dungeon I planned but never got to play.
I believe that I will be campaigning again very soon.  At the very least, maybe I will hear back about some of the pitches I submitted and will get to playtest that stuff.  With the few friends that are able (and still want to) play, they mostly care about getting to pretend to be their favorite character, not whether their character becomes the greatest wizard of all time.  And I really need to remember that.  Because one of the things I've learned as a DM is that it's pretty easy to have fun if your players are enjoying themselves.

Comments

  1. I really appreciate where you are coming from. Finding a good group and playing through a campaign is the sweet spot of gaming. Too often that is a short experience, but still one to treasure and look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I think that after Gen Con and getting my first article done, there were a lot of high points. Now I'm kind of in a slump trying to get stuff together, which I'm sure happens from time to time. I figure I'll just keep contributing/getting involved in the community and things will pick back up here soon enough with the holidays and more down time. We'll see.

      I still have a ton of ideas, so I plan on sharing some of that stuff with other people here. I'm looking forward to next week's blog, about putting music in the game.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gen Con 2012 (or There and Back Again)

"Well I'm back." - Samwise, The Return of the King I spent this last weekend at Gen Con, and, due to traveling, did not get a chance to update Artificer's Intuition.  My apologies.  I hope that everybody enjoys had a good weekend without an update from me. :) The Wizards of the Coast booth in the central showroom had a lot of awesome things.  I got my drow dice bag and was able to get my d4 just from getting my picture taken with Lolth, the Demon Queen of Spiders.  I think she looks scarier here then on the cover of the Monster Manual 3 (no offense to the artist). Me, in shocked surprise.  Note the hobbit-like backpack I'm wearing.  There was also a really cool statue of Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar. The worst thing for me was that soon after my near-death encounter with Lolth, I spied a drow wizard receiving the blessings of the spider goddess for himself.  I needed to watch my back. I spent the next couple of hours on Satu

Revisiting 4th Edition - Fortune Cards

An interesting mechanic that caught my eye as I returned to 4e was that of Fortune Cards. As I previously stated in an earlier post, one of the stores by my house still had a few packs of Fury of the Feywild. Those that have read this blog or read my tweets know that I am huge fan of the Feywild and the fey creatures that inhabit that realm, so when I was perusing 4e things from the past, picking up packs of cards with 'Feywild' in the set name was a no-brainer.                                                                                                                        As I tweeted while writing this post, it's amazing to me that despite the Fortune Cards arriving on scene circa 2011, there is very little record of them online. It's difficult to find images of many of the cards, even when googling their specific names! I find that to be quite shocking, especially since I can find card lists and images for the Star Wars CCG and Lord of the Rings TCG, both of

Revisiting the Trinket Lord

As I’ve gone back to dive into the options that are 4e D&D, I took another hard look at something near and dear to my heart: my 4e published article, The Trinket Lord. Published in Dungeon 205 (August 2012), it was another article in the Court of Stars series about the Archfey. With GenCon 2017 occurring right now, I figured it's a good time to talk about such things again.  I had always found the Court of Stars articles extremely intriguing and full of adventure hooks, but when I pitched this article, only two existed, The Prince of Frost (Dragon 374) and the Bramble Queen (Dungeon 185). The Trinket Lord was originally pitched back in April 2012, when WotC accepted article submissions for their Dragon and Dungeon magazines. My contact for the entire process was Greg Bilsland (which was a major “whoa!” moment for me). I consider my relatively short interactions with Greg to have been extremely insightful, as he gave me a good mix of compliments and critiques and helped me