Skip to main content

Digging Up Fossils

"Don't move!  He can't see us if we don't move."
- Alan Grant, Jurassic Park

Lately, my imagination has gone back to dinosaurs.  I've been a big fan of these amazing creatures since I was a child, and really enjoy the fact that they have been giving as an option in the D&D game under the term behemoth (another name for the creatures).  One of the first Lair Assault modules I was able to purchase off of ebay was Attack of the Tyrantclaw, a module I wanted specifically because I wanted some appropriate dinosaur stat blocks, and monster tokens.
 
 
As I've ready other people's blogs and comments about their games, some of them use dinosaurs in them, but as creatures that exist in magical locations, or places that have special attributes to them.  As I've worked on creating my own campaign world, I've taken this notion of dinosaurs and thrown it out of the window.  My Creationist worldviews that dinosaurs and man existed together have led me to place many of these extinct creatures in my natural world ecosystems.  (For the record, before the term dinosaur was coined, these terrible lizards were referred to as dragons in most writings.  There are many writings of dragon sightings, from Marco Polo to Alexander the Great, and the descriptions of these beasts indicate dinosaurs.  Check them out.)
 
And so, in my collection of dinosaur monster tokens, I've thrown them into my "Natural Creatures" bag.  The T-Rex stands at the top of the food chain there, and is easily the largest of the monster tokens in that group.

Because these creatures exist in various locations in my campaign world, they are easily accessible as mounts and beasts of burden.  What would a goblin tribe be like that ride triceratops into battle?  What would fighting among the clouds be like using pterodactyls?  The questions and the possibilities there are endless, and I think the whole concept breathes new life into the games.

As a world builder, one is seeking to create a living, breathing location for the players to interact in.  This includes natural creatures as much as it includes the fantastic ones.  So why are we limiting ourselves to thinking that extinct species could not exist again?  I think that form of thinking is incorrect, and encourage other world builders to seek new ideas.

The Vellyn campaign that I have written about extensively has sabre-tooth cats and giant mammoths that roam the landscapes with other creatures like yaks.  I plan on having some tribes ride these great beasts.  These are creatures that my players may guess exist, but I'm fairly certain that when I describe their encounters with them at the table, they will become even more excited as they picture what is going on in their minds (or when I put the monster tokens down).

My fascination with dinosaurs led me to try and pitch a few articles concerning them to Wizards of the Coast.  These ideas were shot down, but I still plan on using some of those concepts to flesh out my own designs for the great behemoths in my home campaign world, refusing to let these ideas become fossils (pun intended).

What kind of creatures are other DM's using in their campaigns?    Do you like the idea of putting more dinosaurs into your campaigns?  Please let me know if the comments below, and be sure to follow me on Twitter @artificeralf
 
  

Comments

  1. Ok, dinosaurs are another theme really really dear to me! :D They're even the reason I study geology right now, and plan to work in that field. :)

    I've used dinosaurs as quite common creatures in my campaigns, quite a lot. In my Chult campaign, they were right at home, and then also in a home-brew world that tried to combine all the current and past "archaeology-fiction" conspiracy theories, such as lost continents of Atlantis and Mu having incredibly advanced civilization and early Egypt and other ancient empires being just their young and less civilized colonies... In this pseudo-fantastic and pseudo-realistic Earth, I also had dinosaurs surviving in a classical and quite cheesy "hollow earth" kind of underdark. There, I also played with the fossil concept, creating creatures that were basically half-fossilized undead. Other dinosaurs had simply survived eons and eons alive instead, and also had some kind of template (D&D 3e) making them "awakened", because intelligence had developed somehow in their impossibly long lives, biut they were often imprisoned in caves that didn't allow them to move but few feet in any direction. All of this because of some kind of great magical imprisonment done by Atleantean people, or some space-dwelling "god" Stargate-style, to allow humanity to develop! :D

    In the end, these powerful creatures became creatures the players needed to find, free and of course befriend to contrast the evil empires of the world and restore a natural balance. It was quite a crazy use of dinosaurs, and I actually prefer more normal uses, such as the one you describe: imagining how a dinosaur fauna would interact with the classic races and fantasy creatures, and their place in the civilized and wild world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my really good friends is studying geology. He loves it.

      You have a lot of interesting uses of dinosaurs in campaigns. I haven't reached that point of using them like you yet, but I'm sure they will work their way up to that as the players start to see them as mundane creatures that are encountered every day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gen Con 2012 (or There and Back Again)

"Well I'm back." - Samwise, The Return of the King I spent this last weekend at Gen Con, and, due to traveling, did not get a chance to update Artificer's Intuition.  My apologies.  I hope that everybody enjoys had a good weekend without an update from me. :) The Wizards of the Coast booth in the central showroom had a lot of awesome things.  I got my drow dice bag and was able to get my d4 just from getting my picture taken with Lolth, the Demon Queen of Spiders.  I think she looks scarier here then on the cover of the Monster Manual 3 (no offense to the artist). Me, in shocked surprise.  Note the hobbit-like backpack I'm wearing.  There was also a really cool statue of Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar. The worst thing for me was that soon after my near-death encounter with Lolth, I spied a drow wizard receiving the blessings of the spider goddess for himself.  I needed to watch my back. I spent the next couple of hours on Satu

Revisiting 4th Edition - Fortune Cards

An interesting mechanic that caught my eye as I returned to 4e was that of Fortune Cards. As I previously stated in an earlier post, one of the stores by my house still had a few packs of Fury of the Feywild. Those that have read this blog or read my tweets know that I am huge fan of the Feywild and the fey creatures that inhabit that realm, so when I was perusing 4e things from the past, picking up packs of cards with 'Feywild' in the set name was a no-brainer.                                                                                                                        As I tweeted while writing this post, it's amazing to me that despite the Fortune Cards arriving on scene circa 2011, there is very little record of them online. It's difficult to find images of many of the cards, even when googling their specific names! I find that to be quite shocking, especially since I can find card lists and images for the Star Wars CCG and Lord of the Rings TCG, both of

Revisiting the Trinket Lord

As I’ve gone back to dive into the options that are 4e D&D, I took another hard look at something near and dear to my heart: my 4e published article, The Trinket Lord. Published in Dungeon 205 (August 2012), it was another article in the Court of Stars series about the Archfey. With GenCon 2017 occurring right now, I figured it's a good time to talk about such things again.  I had always found the Court of Stars articles extremely intriguing and full of adventure hooks, but when I pitched this article, only two existed, The Prince of Frost (Dragon 374) and the Bramble Queen (Dungeon 185). The Trinket Lord was originally pitched back in April 2012, when WotC accepted article submissions for their Dragon and Dungeon magazines. My contact for the entire process was Greg Bilsland (which was a major “whoa!” moment for me). I consider my relatively short interactions with Greg to have been extremely insightful, as he gave me a good mix of compliments and critiques and helped me