Skip to main content

Vylokir, Revisited

"Depending on your point of view, the seal represents a proud guardian of the natural cycle or one who has sold her soul to darkness for eternal life."
- Thoughts on the Golgari Symbol

 A new D&DNext playtest packet is upon us.  With that being said, it means that Living Ravnica characters must be updated as well.  So, it appears that Vylokir is getting a make over.  We'll give him a Grisly Salvage, so to speak.


Originally, when the newest playtest packet came out, I was disappointed that characters either chose a feat or increased an ability score by 2.  My biggest gripe against this was the fact that it seemed to destroy original character concepts.

In 4E, many of the races were ideally suited to certain classes based on what ability scores they naturally got bonuses too.  This led to "ideal" builds, like the Elf Ranger, Eldarin Wizard, Halfling Rogue, etc, etc.  Needless to say, my Goblin Artificer tended to be sub par because goblins really didn't get bonuses to the scores need to be a successful artificer.  Due to the increasing math of 4E, this meant that my "unideal" character couldn't hit enemies as well as another "ideal" race/class build.

At the beginning of the D&DNext playtest, characters started with a 15 as their highest base ability score, which was then augmented by their race and class.  I liked this idea a lot, because it balanced out.  A gnome (lacking a Strength bonus) could still have a 16 Strength due to the class ability adjustment bonus.  The dwarf, who got a racial bonus to Strength, and a class bonus, could end up with a 17 Strength, but both of those still received the same +3 bonus to attacks (due to 16 and 17 both having the same +3 modifier).  

With the removal of the Class Ability Score Adjustment and the option of increasing ability scores at certain levels, I was afraid for my gnome fighter.  I thought his strength would always be sub-par, and the dwarf would always be the better fighter pick, thus bringing us back to the 4E problem I had about ideal race/class combinations.

Thankfully, the base ability score is now 16.  With no Class Ability Score Adjustment, a gnome can start with a 16 Strength, and the dwarf can have a 17, and they both remain balanced.  When the time comes to take a feat, the dwarf can elect to give +1 to two ability scores, increasing his strength to 18 and getting a +4 bonus.  The gnome has to use that feature to give +2 to his Strength, increasing it to a 18, losing the opportunity to increase a second ability score.  This seems fair to me, as it still shows that dwarves are naturally stronger, yet does so in a way that doesn't make the gnome player feel bad for wanting to play a gnome fighter.

Now that I've spoken I'm my soapbox, I'm ready to re-build Vylokir.  The elf will be re-cast as a druid, something that I feel is more Golgari than a mage (especially with the choice of traditions we currently have).

 

NAME: Vylokir, Level 4
RACE: Male Wood Elf (Devarkin)
CLASS: Druid (Circle of the Land)
AC: 14 (Hide Armor)
HP: 22 (rolled for HP)
Hit Dice: 4d8
Speed: 7 (35 feet)
GP: 31
Senses: Low-light vision
STR 13 (+1)
CON 12 (+1)
DEX 15 (+2)
WIS 17 (+3)
INT 10 (+0)
CHA 8 (-1)

Racial Abilities: Low-light vision, Elf Weapon Training, Keen Senses, Free Spirit, Trance, Fleet of Foot, Mask of the Wild

Class Features: Druid Lore, Spellcasting, Wild Shape (2/day), Druid Circle, Feat

Circle of the Land (Swamp)

Attack/Spellcasting Bonus: +1

Spell Saving Throw DC: 14 

Feat: Arcane Initiate (Cantrips: Chill Touch, Read Magic 1st Level Spell: Cause Fear)

Lore: Subterranean Lore (Undercity), Natural Lore (Insects), Magical Lore (Necromancy)

Druid Cantrips: Shillelagh, Fire Seeds, Guidance

Spells Prepared: 5 Druid Spells

Background Trait: Licensed Fool

Gear: Hide Armor, Quarterstaff, Short Sword, Vial of Acid, Vial of Poison, Adventurer's Kit, Herbalism Kit

Quarterstaff: +2 vs AC; 1d10+1 bludgeoning
Short Sword: +3 vs AC; 1d6+2 piercing

------

A few character notes on some of the updates/changes:

Devarkin is just another name for a Ravnician Dark Elf.


The Hide Armor is made from sleek black beetle carapaces.  The staff has various fungi growing off of it, with various odds and ends at the top, including a skull.  Vylokir typically licks the blade of his short sword before going into battle (and before pouring poison onto it).

The Licensed Fool represents that he is a little unstable and off-putting, but, due to his connection to the Golgari and their purpose of creating food sources, he is typically welcomed (although grudgingly) among places where he would normally not be welcome.

The Arcane Initiate represents his well rounded-ness at spellcasting.  Eventually, we'll hopefully see him create a plant zombie of his own.


As always, be sure to follow me on Twitter @artificeralf If you want to talk about the campaign, be sure to use the hashtag #LivingRavnica


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gen Con 2012 (or There and Back Again)

"Well I'm back." - Samwise, The Return of the King I spent this last weekend at Gen Con, and, due to traveling, did not get a chance to update Artificer's Intuition.  My apologies.  I hope that everybody enjoys had a good weekend without an update from me. :) The Wizards of the Coast booth in the central showroom had a lot of awesome things.  I got my drow dice bag and was able to get my d4 just from getting my picture taken with Lolth, the Demon Queen of Spiders.  I think she looks scarier here then on the cover of the Monster Manual 3 (no offense to the artist). Me, in shocked surprise.  Note the hobbit-like backpack I'm wearing.  There was also a really cool statue of Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar. The worst thing for me was that soon after my near-death encounter with Lolth, I spied a drow wizard receiving the blessings of the spider goddess for himself.  I needed to watch my back. I spent the next couple of hours on Satu

Revisiting 4th Edition - Fortune Cards

An interesting mechanic that caught my eye as I returned to 4e was that of Fortune Cards. As I previously stated in an earlier post, one of the stores by my house still had a few packs of Fury of the Feywild. Those that have read this blog or read my tweets know that I am huge fan of the Feywild and the fey creatures that inhabit that realm, so when I was perusing 4e things from the past, picking up packs of cards with 'Feywild' in the set name was a no-brainer.                                                                                                                        As I tweeted while writing this post, it's amazing to me that despite the Fortune Cards arriving on scene circa 2011, there is very little record of them online. It's difficult to find images of many of the cards, even when googling their specific names! I find that to be quite shocking, especially since I can find card lists and images for the Star Wars CCG and Lord of the Rings TCG, both of

Revisiting the Trinket Lord

As I’ve gone back to dive into the options that are 4e D&D, I took another hard look at something near and dear to my heart: my 4e published article, The Trinket Lord. Published in Dungeon 205 (August 2012), it was another article in the Court of Stars series about the Archfey. With GenCon 2017 occurring right now, I figured it's a good time to talk about such things again.  I had always found the Court of Stars articles extremely intriguing and full of adventure hooks, but when I pitched this article, only two existed, The Prince of Frost (Dragon 374) and the Bramble Queen (Dungeon 185). The Trinket Lord was originally pitched back in April 2012, when WotC accepted article submissions for their Dragon and Dungeon magazines. My contact for the entire process was Greg Bilsland (which was a major “whoa!” moment for me). I consider my relatively short interactions with Greg to have been extremely insightful, as he gave me a good mix of compliments and critiques and helped me