Skip to main content

On Heroics

"And yet their wills did not yield, and they struggled on"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

It is raining as I write this, waiting to greet October in a few days.  The month of September has flown by crazily, mostly due to the fact that I've gotten involved in many different activities or projects I'm attempting to get off the ground.  It's funny that now that the summer is slowly saying farewell and I am getting busier, I decide to come back and to blog once again.

Towards the end of the summer especially, one thought has continued to be on my mind: heroes.  I make quips about fixing the tears in my Spidey suit, or battling the Lizard under the sewers of my township.  In the last month, I started making crossover references (for example, Carnage that is somehow emitting Scarecrow's Fear Toxin pheromones).  Despite all the jokes/references that I make, I have really started to think about what makes a hero, and what characteristics they tend to possess, and I wanted to blog about it and dive into what this means in terms of life and stories and D&D.  So throughout this blog, you will see me referring to myself as 'hero', which basically is short for superhero.  Think in terms of Peter Parker.


While I was sad that I was unable to attend GenCon this year, I wouldn't have traded my August 17th for anything.  It has become a day that stands out clearly in my mind, and I am still wondering about the future outcomes it holds.  I was able to help out somebody else who needed it, and from there lit a fire of continuing to try and do so.  In short, a heroic quality, though I prefer not to be called heroic about it.  I just want to continue helping.  So while I know there were awesome things going down at GenCon, I know that my time was definitely well spent staying home this year.

The first heroic lesson I started learning that day was patience.  Honestly, I felt like I was learning patience a while back, but I feel like I'm learning it even more now.  Sometimes we are forced to wait.  I've turned the patience thing over and over again in my mind, and the theme is seen all over the place in terms of literature and stories.  Luke Skywalker had to be patient and learn to use the Force.  When he didn't, and rushed to confront Vader, he lost his hand and was badly shaken.  Peter Parker has always had to put his own life and his own desires on hold in order to help the greater good.  Samwise Gamgee patiently stuck it out with Frodo, having no idea if he would ever make it back.  Taran, from The Black Cauldron, patiently learned many lessons while growing up and adventuring.  Basically, patience is a trait we see in all sorts of heroes.

In terms of D&D and gaming, I think heroes learn patience by not being rewarding or accomplishing their goals.  The lessons from life can always be applied to characters, but it seems to be easier being a D&D hero and slaying skeletons and exploring dungeons than being patient in the real world for whatever goal one is chasing.  However, as Yoda once said, it is important to focus on the moment, not always be looking to what has yet to happen.  It takes practice, but it is a skill that adds more to life and makes you appreciate that which is around you.

Another huge trait that has been on my mind is that of sacrifice.  I'm going to be honest and say that sacrifice isn't a trait that most people understand at all, mostly because they are never aware of who is sacrificing something for them.  

There are always moments in literature, movies, etc, where the hero has to stop and contemplate if people really need saving.  Humanity is selfish, greedy and unappreciative.  Why bother saving them?  Why bother putting their happiness before the hero's own?

I think there is only one real answer to such a question, and that can basically be summed to love.  It takes a powerful hero to love a stranger and to give up something for a person unknown and unworthy of it.  In Narnia, Aslan lays down his life for Edmund, though the boy has acted selfishly and cruelly the entire time.  In the new Superman remake, Man of Steel, Kal-El willingly fights for the entire population of Earth, despite his own inner struggles and fear of being rejected.


Sacrifice has been a powerful thought and emotion in my own life these last six months.  It's a very personal thing, laying down everything for another, or delaying your own happiness for that of another's well being.

In terms of D&D stories, heroes need to be presented with choices.  Do they reclaim their ship and let the dragon destroy the village?  Or do they confront the dragon, save the village, yet lose their ship to the bottom of the ocean?  

I hope some of these thoughts on heroics bring new inspiration to the character stories being told in campaigns.  In terms of real life, I encourage everybody to go out of their way this week and to do something kind for somebody else.  Send a random text message.  Make a stranger laugh.  Buy Taco Bell and hand it out to somebody random.  These simple acts of kindness will make you the random hero that appears in an instance, and is gone in a flash.

As always, leave your comments below and follow me on Twitter @artificeralf


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gen Con 2012 (or There and Back Again)

"Well I'm back." - Samwise, The Return of the King I spent this last weekend at Gen Con, and, due to traveling, did not get a chance to update Artificer's Intuition.  My apologies.  I hope that everybody enjoys had a good weekend without an update from me. :) The Wizards of the Coast booth in the central showroom had a lot of awesome things.  I got my drow dice bag and was able to get my d4 just from getting my picture taken with Lolth, the Demon Queen of Spiders.  I think she looks scarier here then on the cover of the Monster Manual 3 (no offense to the artist). Me, in shocked surprise.  Note the hobbit-like backpack I'm wearing.  There was also a really cool statue of Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar. The worst thing for me was that soon after my near-death encounter with Lolth, I spied a drow wizard receiving the blessings of the spider goddess for himself.  I needed to watch my back. I spent the next couple of hours on Satu

Revisiting 4th Edition - Fortune Cards

An interesting mechanic that caught my eye as I returned to 4e was that of Fortune Cards. As I previously stated in an earlier post, one of the stores by my house still had a few packs of Fury of the Feywild. Those that have read this blog or read my tweets know that I am huge fan of the Feywild and the fey creatures that inhabit that realm, so when I was perusing 4e things from the past, picking up packs of cards with 'Feywild' in the set name was a no-brainer.                                                                                                                        As I tweeted while writing this post, it's amazing to me that despite the Fortune Cards arriving on scene circa 2011, there is very little record of them online. It's difficult to find images of many of the cards, even when googling their specific names! I find that to be quite shocking, especially since I can find card lists and images for the Star Wars CCG and Lord of the Rings TCG, both of

Revisiting the Trinket Lord

As I’ve gone back to dive into the options that are 4e D&D, I took another hard look at something near and dear to my heart: my 4e published article, The Trinket Lord. Published in Dungeon 205 (August 2012), it was another article in the Court of Stars series about the Archfey. With GenCon 2017 occurring right now, I figured it's a good time to talk about such things again.  I had always found the Court of Stars articles extremely intriguing and full of adventure hooks, but when I pitched this article, only two existed, The Prince of Frost (Dragon 374) and the Bramble Queen (Dungeon 185). The Trinket Lord was originally pitched back in April 2012, when WotC accepted article submissions for their Dragon and Dungeon magazines. My contact for the entire process was Greg Bilsland (which was a major “whoa!” moment for me). I consider my relatively short interactions with Greg to have been extremely insightful, as he gave me a good mix of compliments and critiques and helped me