Skip to main content

A Razorblade Romance

"Into the night, you and I, torn and broken, bleed into the night."
- HIM, Into the Night

Towards the end of summer, I went to my third HIM concert.  Since I am a passionate HIM fan (I'm just a passionate fan of things in general), I rocked out in my HIM shirt (from an older concert), and sang/screamed along to all the songs.  I'm pretty sure I made eye contact with Ville Valo, the lead singer.  All in all, it was a great time, and I was glad to be able to scream along to the chorus of "Buried Alive By Love", "Soul on Fire" and "Right Here In My Arms".  They also ended on a high note with "The Funeral of Hearts".


I've been a HIM fan since I was 16 years old, when a friend introduced me to the band and took me to my first concert to see them.  I waited in line for about 5 hours just so we could get a good place to stand on the floor.  HIM has been one of those bands that I've considered to be one of my defining three in terms of music (yet most people never seem to understand why I like them.  They're just not popular in my circle of friends).  However, finding another fan is always a cool experience.  While I was out in May, I wore the same shirt I wore to this last concert.  A girl shouted at me from across the store about how I had a cool shirt, and she made a point to show me her own fan bracelet.

I always try to take my experiences and surroundings and use them to inspire myself creatively.  As I've been listening to all of HIM's music while at work, driving, etc, I began brainstorming a new character.  A few years back, I wanted to create a tiefling named Ville (after the leader singer of HIM, since it's just an awesome sounding name).  I came up with a few backstory ideas, but since I didn't play very much, I just let it go.  Now that I'm playtesting more and letting my brother DM, I figured it was time to create something new.



Since I was basing my new tiefling character off of a musical frontman, I decided he needed to be a bard.  It just made sense.  I took numerous lyrics as inspiration for the character.  Here's a list of a few:

"Love's the funeral of hearts, and an ode for cruelty, when angels cry blood on flowers of evil in bloom"
"We are like the living dead, craving for deliverance, with a frozen heart and a soul on fire"
"I weep for the dream in a grave, the one that made all lips go blue"
"Have no fear, there are wounds which are not meant to heal"
"Love me, like you love the sun, scorching the blood in my vampire heart"

And so, I present to you, Ville the tiefling bard.

-----
Name: Ville
Race: Tiefling male
Class: Bard
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Languages: Common, Infernal, Sylvan, Draconic
HP: 7
AC: 11
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 (30 feet)
Special Senses: Low-light vision
STRENGTH: 14 (+2)
CONSTITUTION: 13 (+1)
DEXTERITY: 10 (+0)
INTELLIGENCE: 13 (+1)
WISDOM: 8 (-1)
CHARISMA: 17 (+3)

Racial Features
Hellish Resistance
Infernal Wrath

Skills: History, Performance, Persuasion, Arcana, Deception, Stealth
Background: Noted Performer

Class Features
Bardic Knowledge
Bardic Performance (Call to Battle & Inspire Competence)

Sickle: +3, 1d4+3 slashing
Gear
Sickle
Leather Armor
Lute
Clothes, common
Adventurer's Kit
Potion of Healing x2
Vial x3
Manacles
------

Little is known about Ville, for he chooses to reveal little of himself.  If anything, it is the songs he composes and chooses to sing that give hints about his past and who he truly is.

His songs are full of shadows and hauntings, of loss and love.  While he speaks little of it, many seem to believe that he loved someone deeply, and that she was either died or was killed.  By whom or what, that is unknown, though from his songs, Ville seems to have had encounters with vampires, devils, and other forces of shadows and darkness.

The bard is covered with various tattoos and designs, some of which have designs that suggest he has spent some time with shadar-kai.  He is unaffected by cold lands, and the gloom of the Shadowfell does little to change his moods.

He is confident, with an almost boastful swagger and whimsical attitude.  The bard does want he wants, whenever he wants to do it.  He wanders the lands, seeking only what is known to him.  Small nobles and inns allow him to perform for them, which he does.  He is an invaluable asset to any company he joins due to his various insights to the many situations which arise.

Some say he pays homage to the gods of death by wielding a sickle, others that it allows him to create new scars like shadar-kai sometimes possess.

-----

So that's my new character.  Hopefully this gives everybody else some ideas about taking their other interests in life and finding new ways to apply them to their D&D games.  Leave your comments below and be sure to follow me on Twitter @artificeralf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gen Con 2012 (or There and Back Again)

"Well I'm back." - Samwise, The Return of the King I spent this last weekend at Gen Con, and, due to traveling, did not get a chance to update Artificer's Intuition.  My apologies.  I hope that everybody enjoys had a good weekend without an update from me. :) The Wizards of the Coast booth in the central showroom had a lot of awesome things.  I got my drow dice bag and was able to get my d4 just from getting my picture taken with Lolth, the Demon Queen of Spiders.  I think she looks scarier here then on the cover of the Monster Manual 3 (no offense to the artist). Me, in shocked surprise.  Note the hobbit-like backpack I'm wearing.  There was also a really cool statue of Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar. The worst thing for me was that soon after my near-death encounter with Lolth, I spied a drow wizard receiving the blessings of the spider goddess for himself.  I needed to watch my back. I spent the next couple of hours on Satu

Revisiting 4th Edition - Fortune Cards

An interesting mechanic that caught my eye as I returned to 4e was that of Fortune Cards. As I previously stated in an earlier post, one of the stores by my house still had a few packs of Fury of the Feywild. Those that have read this blog or read my tweets know that I am huge fan of the Feywild and the fey creatures that inhabit that realm, so when I was perusing 4e things from the past, picking up packs of cards with 'Feywild' in the set name was a no-brainer.                                                                                                                        As I tweeted while writing this post, it's amazing to me that despite the Fortune Cards arriving on scene circa 2011, there is very little record of them online. It's difficult to find images of many of the cards, even when googling their specific names! I find that to be quite shocking, especially since I can find card lists and images for the Star Wars CCG and Lord of the Rings TCG, both of

Revisiting the Trinket Lord

As I’ve gone back to dive into the options that are 4e D&D, I took another hard look at something near and dear to my heart: my 4e published article, The Trinket Lord. Published in Dungeon 205 (August 2012), it was another article in the Court of Stars series about the Archfey. With GenCon 2017 occurring right now, I figured it's a good time to talk about such things again.  I had always found the Court of Stars articles extremely intriguing and full of adventure hooks, but when I pitched this article, only two existed, The Prince of Frost (Dragon 374) and the Bramble Queen (Dungeon 185). The Trinket Lord was originally pitched back in April 2012, when WotC accepted article submissions for their Dragon and Dungeon magazines. My contact for the entire process was Greg Bilsland (which was a major “whoa!” moment for me). I consider my relatively short interactions with Greg to have been extremely insightful, as he gave me a good mix of compliments and critiques and helped me