Skip to main content

Prologue: Whispers in the Dark/Realms of the Masterminds Part II of II

"After all, the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." - Albus Dumbledore

Stranded in the chambers below the Goblin Fortress of Feuerbrennt, Syn'Dral had grudgingly agreed to follow Ragnarok's lead, and the druid wasted no opportunity by leading them through the next doorway.
Before them lay a great hall, and the two goblin guards they had run away from after they escaped their cells.  One goblin began shouting in goblin "get them!" while drawing a long wicked looking knife.  Dawgsin charged to the back of the room when four goblins suddenly appeared from among the storage crates, all of them waiting to stab the young halfling.

Dawgsin gets ready to attack, while his shadow dances menacingly around him.
Ragnarok commanded Llenherd to help Dawgsin.  As the giant teddy bear hamster ran, the floor beneath him gave way, opening into a giant chasm.  Luckiliy, Llenherd was quick enough to jump back in time, staring at the darkness that almost swallowed him up.

Krent ran past Dawgsin, taking out the two goblin guards the group had already encountered previously.  Ragnarok, in wolf form, was soon to join him.  The two stood back to back, and made short work of the guards.

Syn'Dral smirked at the entryway, seeing that he wasn't really needed at this point.  Just as he was about to relax, the doors next to him flew open, and more goblin reinforcements arrived, probably having heard the commotion.  The drow drew his rapier and his dagger, smirking at the thought of combat as he began swinging his sword and firing off spells.


In short time, the goblins were vanquished.  Ragnarok turned back into his normal form, telling the group they should head into the next room.  They all agreed.

Ragnarok takes the lead.
The next room was a bigger surprise than they had anticipated.  Large pits pockmarked the floor, and hungry drakes snapped at the heroes as they entered.  Across the room, a portcullis lay shut.

"Looks like we'll have to fight our way across," Krent thought out loud.  And so, they were out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Ragnarok took quick action, leaping across the first pit to attack the nearest drake.


As Krent and Dawgsin went to attack the creatures, they were suddenly pulled through small portals by long, grasping fingers.  A pair of boggles also nested in the room, looking to attack any that intruded.


The drakes continued to attack with a crazed hunger, not stopping until all those in the room fell.  Eventually, they singled out Krent and Syndral, who fell to their snapping jaws.  Dawgsin and Ragnarok were unable to get to them in time as they succumbed to their wounds.  A dark feeling of despair hung in the air as Dawgsin dispatched the last drake.  They had won, but at the cost of two lives.  Ragnarok was barely holding on, while Dawgsin still felt he had a few more fights left in him.  It seemed as though Feuerbrennt had won.


---------------

Author's Note: This battle was extremely difficult, but it made for a great play, and some great storytelling.  After talking with my brother, we decided that we would split this into two campaigns.  I would DM his party, and he would DM mine.  Though death may seem like the end for Krent and Syn'Dral, they will return.  You'll have to wait and see.  I will be continuing Whispers in the Dark, while the story that will continue for Ragnarok and Dawgsin (along with two other newcomers!) will be entitled "Realms of the Masterminds".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gen Con 2012 (or There and Back Again)

"Well I'm back." - Samwise, The Return of the King I spent this last weekend at Gen Con, and, due to traveling, did not get a chance to update Artificer's Intuition.  My apologies.  I hope that everybody enjoys had a good weekend without an update from me. :) The Wizards of the Coast booth in the central showroom had a lot of awesome things.  I got my drow dice bag and was able to get my d4 just from getting my picture taken with Lolth, the Demon Queen of Spiders.  I think she looks scarier here then on the cover of the Monster Manual 3 (no offense to the artist). Me, in shocked surprise.  Note the hobbit-like backpack I'm wearing.  There was also a really cool statue of Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar. The worst thing for me was that soon after my near-death encounter with Lolth, I spied a drow wizard receiving the blessings of the spider goddess for himself.  I needed to watch my back. I spent the next couple of hours on Satu

Revisiting 4th Edition - Fortune Cards

An interesting mechanic that caught my eye as I returned to 4e was that of Fortune Cards. As I previously stated in an earlier post, one of the stores by my house still had a few packs of Fury of the Feywild. Those that have read this blog or read my tweets know that I am huge fan of the Feywild and the fey creatures that inhabit that realm, so when I was perusing 4e things from the past, picking up packs of cards with 'Feywild' in the set name was a no-brainer.                                                                                                                        As I tweeted while writing this post, it's amazing to me that despite the Fortune Cards arriving on scene circa 2011, there is very little record of them online. It's difficult to find images of many of the cards, even when googling their specific names! I find that to be quite shocking, especially since I can find card lists and images for the Star Wars CCG and Lord of the Rings TCG, both of

Revisiting the Trinket Lord

As I’ve gone back to dive into the options that are 4e D&D, I took another hard look at something near and dear to my heart: my 4e published article, The Trinket Lord. Published in Dungeon 205 (August 2012), it was another article in the Court of Stars series about the Archfey. With GenCon 2017 occurring right now, I figured it's a good time to talk about such things again.  I had always found the Court of Stars articles extremely intriguing and full of adventure hooks, but when I pitched this article, only two existed, The Prince of Frost (Dragon 374) and the Bramble Queen (Dungeon 185). The Trinket Lord was originally pitched back in April 2012, when WotC accepted article submissions for their Dragon and Dungeon magazines. My contact for the entire process was Greg Bilsland (which was a major “whoa!” moment for me). I consider my relatively short interactions with Greg to have been extremely insightful, as he gave me a good mix of compliments and critiques and helped me