Skip to main content

Curse of Undeath Review

"Death Awaits You!" - Seymour, Final Fantasy X

Today, Dungeon Command: Curse of Undeath came out.  While the Dungeon Command set I was most looking forward to was Tyranny of Goblins (that came out in September), as the miniatures got previewed, I knew that I really wanted the Undeath set just for all the undead goodies.

So let's take a look at the miniatures.


Two skeletons.  Solid stuff.


Vampire.  I'm a big fan of this mini, as he looks like everything a vampire should be.  Glad to finally have one.


Two zombies.  Glad I picked up a second set so that I have 4 of these bad boys.  You can never have enough zombies.  These guys will also be good as standing in for ghouls and other crazed undead.


Skeletal Lancer.  Cool, but not my favorite in the box.


The Gravehound is superb.  A nice non-humanoid zombie.


This is where I start having issues figuring out my favorite miniature.  The Skeletal Tomb Guardian is the ultimate skeleton.  The miniature is intimidating, and I really want to throw my players into a tomb in the next adventure just so that they can face a couple of these nasties.


I really like the Disciple of Kyuss as well.  The mini is solid (meaning we have a nice, solid figure on a base), and the sculpt and paint job is done really well.  As a DM, I think it's important to have solid pieces (or tokens) to represent villains, otherwise, most other DMs won't use them.  Getting this guy really makes the gears in my head turn with ideas.


I'll be honest, the picture of the WotC website of the Lich Necromancer didn't make it look that appealing.  I hope that this one does.  I initially didn't think that this Lich would stand up to the Pathfinder Lich, but now I'm really torn.  Heck, I feel like this Lich looks more magical, while the other one looks like it would command an undead army.  Either way, there are a lot of cool liches.


I've never used dracoliches in my campaigns.  I tend to stick to the living dragons.  Once again, this was a mini that I was not super impressed with online, but in person, it looks so much cooler.  The miniature is huge (even though it is only large), and definitely has an awesome presence on the battlefield.

Here is the dungeon map.


Here is the outdoor map.


The tiles are cool in that we get another Magic Circle tile to use.  We also get a lot of undead motifs (especially in the dungeon).  I'm always happy to see more hazardous terrain (I really want to get Fire Trap to work in my Order deck).

The Order cards really feel like they're expanding the game.  We get a lot of Con, Int and Cha cards.  We got a solid chunk of spells (Int base), and the Affinity mechanic has finally returned.  Initially, Affinity was only found in the Sting of Lolth set (with the spells Web and Faerie Fire).  Now, we have cards that are Vampire Affinity and Dragon Affinity.  I look forward to seeing more and more Affinity cards.  I wouldn't be surprised if we get Beast Affinity in the Blood of Gruumsh set, since orcs seem pretty primal/beasty.  You heard it here first!

When the Constitution cards first came out in Tyranny of Goblins, I really didn't see it much better than Strength.  It played slightly more defensive, but I wasn't sure how I felt about it.  However, the last few weeks of reviewing the Con cards, I became more and more sold, and with the Undeath release, I really see the strong side of Con.  They have a lot of ways to prevent damage, increase damage and move across the battlefield.  Con monsters tend to have higher hit points, so they can really take a beating before dying.  Plenty of their cards help prevent/heal/regenerate damage, so they are hard to kill.  The Undead pack has quite a few Minor Con cards, which helps position the army before going to town with Standard actions.

Charisma finally gets ways to prevent damage, and has a cool card that allows deployment and can increase Morale.  My favorites are Call to Battle (which can net you extra Morale with Magic Circles) and Terrifying Revelation (where an opponent loses 3 Morale immediately).

All in all, I really like this set.  I don't know if I would've liked it less if it had come out earlier, but at this point, with 3 other expansions released, the Order Cards seem to fill out a lot of niches and help flesh out other warbands.  I look forward to taking it apart and throwing other monsters (like the Horned Devil) into the warband, or even trying the Vampire out with goblins.  We shall see!

I also think these miniatures would work great with the Haunted Temples map pack.  It really makes me want to run an undead themed one-shot.

As always, leave comments below, and follow me on Twitter @artificeralf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gen Con 2012 (or There and Back Again)

"Well I'm back." - Samwise, The Return of the King I spent this last weekend at Gen Con, and, due to traveling, did not get a chance to update Artificer's Intuition.  My apologies.  I hope that everybody enjoys had a good weekend without an update from me. :) The Wizards of the Coast booth in the central showroom had a lot of awesome things.  I got my drow dice bag and was able to get my d4 just from getting my picture taken with Lolth, the Demon Queen of Spiders.  I think she looks scarier here then on the cover of the Monster Manual 3 (no offense to the artist). Me, in shocked surprise.  Note the hobbit-like backpack I'm wearing.  There was also a really cool statue of Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar. The worst thing for me was that soon after my near-death encounter with Lolth, I spied a drow wizard receiving the blessings of the spider goddess for himself.  I needed to watch my back. I spent the next couple of hours on Satu

Revisiting 4th Edition - Fortune Cards

An interesting mechanic that caught my eye as I returned to 4e was that of Fortune Cards. As I previously stated in an earlier post, one of the stores by my house still had a few packs of Fury of the Feywild. Those that have read this blog or read my tweets know that I am huge fan of the Feywild and the fey creatures that inhabit that realm, so when I was perusing 4e things from the past, picking up packs of cards with 'Feywild' in the set name was a no-brainer.                                                                                                                        As I tweeted while writing this post, it's amazing to me that despite the Fortune Cards arriving on scene circa 2011, there is very little record of them online. It's difficult to find images of many of the cards, even when googling their specific names! I find that to be quite shocking, especially since I can find card lists and images for the Star Wars CCG and Lord of the Rings TCG, both of

Revisiting the Trinket Lord

As I’ve gone back to dive into the options that are 4e D&D, I took another hard look at something near and dear to my heart: my 4e published article, The Trinket Lord. Published in Dungeon 205 (August 2012), it was another article in the Court of Stars series about the Archfey. With GenCon 2017 occurring right now, I figured it's a good time to talk about such things again.  I had always found the Court of Stars articles extremely intriguing and full of adventure hooks, but when I pitched this article, only two existed, The Prince of Frost (Dragon 374) and the Bramble Queen (Dungeon 185). The Trinket Lord was originally pitched back in April 2012, when WotC accepted article submissions for their Dragon and Dungeon magazines. My contact for the entire process was Greg Bilsland (which was a major “whoa!” moment for me). I consider my relatively short interactions with Greg to have been extremely insightful, as he gave me a good mix of compliments and critiques and helped me