Skip to main content

Little Monsters

"A sad tale's best for winter.  I have one of sprites and goblins."
- William Shakespeare

As I go through all my miniatures and plan encounters, I've started to notice one thing:

The more goblins I get, the more and more different they begin to look.

This isn't a bad thing, but as I'm expanding my campaign world and creating backgrounds and histories, I want t be able to explain all sorts of these different goblins.  I am, after all, a huge goblin fan.

I snapped a pic of this banner at Gen Con just for the goblin.
 Back when I was in high school and the NoteBook world was being brainstormed and created, I really wanted to find a way to incorporate goblins, but it never happened.  I had sketches and ideas, but nothing ever really took root, and goblins were never a creature that we talked about.  However, I did tinker around with different cultures and tribes and looks to the specific goblins.  With all the miniatures that I have right now, such a thing makes excellent timing for that.

I drew this back in '06.  I like my notes about Billy Idol
 With all the diversity among goblins, I think that it makes sense for there to be different tribes in my campaign world.  Goblin tribes that have long dwelt in woodland realms would look much different than those that spent a long time in volcanic areas.  This is not evolution, it's adaptation.  Different looking goblinoids gives a better idea of  a living, breathing campaign environment.  With the way the combat math is shaping up in D&DNext, goblins can always be foes that players can fight.  They just get easier, but they can still be relevant in swarms.  So when your high level PCs go to confront an elder red dragon in her volcanic lair, the goblins that serve the dragon will look much different than the goblin bandits that were raiding the town back in civilization.

So here's where I'm at with my miniatures.


These guys come from the Pathfinder miniatures.  The middle one is the miniature I've started to use for my goblin character Kov Nitikki (when I get a chance to play).  I have to figure out Kov's culture, though I've pretty much stuck to the idea that his homeland is a mountainous region.  Looking at this style of goblin, I can come up with creative ways for that all to make sense.  The hats keep their heads warm, their large ears allow them to pick up sounds that might echo throughout the region.  You can see where I'm getting at.

I also love this picture of the Pathfinder goblins chasing the piggy.

I believe this is done by Andrew Hou
The next clear batch of goblins that I have are Moria goblins I painted back in the day.  These guys are based off the look for the Lord of the Rings movies.


I like these guys a lot, but they just seem radically different from the goblins above, don't they?  I think I will use these goblins for underground lairs and dungeons (go figure...they're from Moria).  However, I think that works.  Underground, they have no sunlight, so they're eyes are a bit larger, and they're a bit leaner from all the added movement they need from hunting and scavenging.  Their weapons are made with cruder chunks of metal, and their armor is hooked and jagged.  Whatever cloth/leather they have is patchwork and crudely woven together.

The next set of goblins came directly from the Dungeon Command set Tyranny of Goblins.  These guys are a nice dark shade of green.


These guys are the woodland raiders/threaten the caravan type goblin.  Their skin gives them some camouflage in treelines and shrubbery.

So, does this mean that I can never just grab some goblin minis and throw them together for a combat encounter?  Absolutely not.  However, miniature selection gives a huge feel for the encounter (as well as descriptions, roleplaying, etc).  "Tribing" out your various miniature monsters (orcs, kobolds, gnolls) will do the same thing.

I also have some other random goblins that don't seem to fit anywhere.


The Goblin Barbarian is in a league of his own.  Maybe he's a mercenary hired by the goblin tribe.  Maybe he's an NPC the heroes have to go and negotiate with.  Maybe a new player will show and want to use him as PC.  Whatever the reason, this goblin is different.  Figure out his story to do him justice.


I already came up with a story for this little dude.  I was going to use him in an adventure that never took place (all my players cancelled except my fiancee).  His name was Tilch, and he was a little runty goblin that would take a liking to the party and serve them.  I was counting on the PC's being kind to him though, so who knows how that would've gone down.

As you can see, there's lots of inspiration for world building within your miniatures.  Asking yourself "why?" is probably one of the best ways to start diving into new ideas and new story launch points.  As you can see, I have about three different goblin types now for my campaigns.

On one last note, I have to show off this Magic the Gathering card I got signed by the artist, Pete Venters.  I asked him to make me one of the goblins in the art, and he did so.  This is one of my favorite little souvenirs of geeky stuff I have.


As always, be sure to leave comments and follow me on Twitter @artificeralf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gen Con 2012 (or There and Back Again)

"Well I'm back." - Samwise, The Return of the King I spent this last weekend at Gen Con, and, due to traveling, did not get a chance to update Artificer's Intuition.  My apologies.  I hope that everybody enjoys had a good weekend without an update from me. :) The Wizards of the Coast booth in the central showroom had a lot of awesome things.  I got my drow dice bag and was able to get my d4 just from getting my picture taken with Lolth, the Demon Queen of Spiders.  I think she looks scarier here then on the cover of the Monster Manual 3 (no offense to the artist). Me, in shocked surprise.  Note the hobbit-like backpack I'm wearing.  There was also a really cool statue of Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar. The worst thing for me was that soon after my near-death encounter with Lolth, I spied a drow wizard receiving the blessings of the spider goddess for himself.  I needed to watch my back. I spent the next couple of hours on Satu

Revisiting 4th Edition - Fortune Cards

An interesting mechanic that caught my eye as I returned to 4e was that of Fortune Cards. As I previously stated in an earlier post, one of the stores by my house still had a few packs of Fury of the Feywild. Those that have read this blog or read my tweets know that I am huge fan of the Feywild and the fey creatures that inhabit that realm, so when I was perusing 4e things from the past, picking up packs of cards with 'Feywild' in the set name was a no-brainer.                                                                                                                        As I tweeted while writing this post, it's amazing to me that despite the Fortune Cards arriving on scene circa 2011, there is very little record of them online. It's difficult to find images of many of the cards, even when googling their specific names! I find that to be quite shocking, especially since I can find card lists and images for the Star Wars CCG and Lord of the Rings TCG, both of

Revisiting the Trinket Lord

As I’ve gone back to dive into the options that are 4e D&D, I took another hard look at something near and dear to my heart: my 4e published article, The Trinket Lord. Published in Dungeon 205 (August 2012), it was another article in the Court of Stars series about the Archfey. With GenCon 2017 occurring right now, I figured it's a good time to talk about such things again.  I had always found the Court of Stars articles extremely intriguing and full of adventure hooks, but when I pitched this article, only two existed, The Prince of Frost (Dragon 374) and the Bramble Queen (Dungeon 185). The Trinket Lord was originally pitched back in April 2012, when WotC accepted article submissions for their Dragon and Dungeon magazines. My contact for the entire process was Greg Bilsland (which was a major “whoa!” moment for me). I consider my relatively short interactions with Greg to have been extremely insightful, as he gave me a good mix of compliments and critiques and helped me